While last season was about the knee-high boot, the over-the-knee boot is the hot item for fall. Paired with a sweater dress and lace tights, or over jeans and loose top, OTK's are a must-have in every woman's closet. But be cautious, an OTK can go very wrong, very easily if not selected right.
5 Steps On How To Find Your Perfect Over-The-Knee-Boot:
1. The economy is tight, but one of the most important things to do when buying the OTK is to a leather boot, or a very similar material. Nothing fake, shiny, or polyester. The boot should resemble a authentic riding boot in a black or mahogany or chestnut brown . A genuine material for the OTK boot is key for a inexpensive fabric will take the look from classy to trashy in a second.
2. If you're going for a heel, make sure the heel is a riding boot style or cowboy boot heel. For an everyday look a stiletto or even a pump heel can turn this casual bohemian style into club wear. Keep the heel at a moderate height; 3 1/2 inch max.
3. Never by a 'ruched' boot, or a pleated boot. Keep to a simple, elegant, smooth frame.
4. The toe of the boot is very important. If going for a day look make sure that the toe of the OTK is either rounded like a riding boot or semi-square like a Frye boot. A pointed toe, means club, and is tacky. This rule applies to all boots.
5. If you are nervous that you will not find many occasions to wear an OTK, many styles come with a convertible flap that will go from a knee-high to over-the-knee. This way you won't have to buy two pairs of boots and can be very versatile with different outfits.
Here are some great selections of over-the-knee boots fabulous for the rest of fall: